Pediatric Chiropractic Care - Tips for Spinal Care for Children
When a child is born it doesn’t have the proper strength to support its own head. This is because the baby’s spine is a singular curve that is C-shaped. Around six months of age there’s a curve that develops in the lower back and lumbar muscles. This is when the child begins learning to stand and crawl, ultimately building the balance required to walk and run. By this time a baby’s spine has developed three natural curves that are found in the adult spine.
Chiropractic care can be scary for those who have not experienced it. However, plethora of studies show the benefits that chiropractic care brings to a person’s overall well-being. When treating children with chiropractic care, a Sugar Land chiropractor knows how to adjust chiropractic care treatments to be appropriate for your child’s age. Upon examination, a chiropractor can use multiple different adjustment techniques and can even do so while the parent holds the child, should the child be scared to lie down on the chiropractic adjustment table.
Every child experiences falls and can experience muscle strains as they learn to walk. Visiting a chiropractor for a regular check up can help ensure the child’s proper skeletal and muscular development. Chiropractors can quickly treat issues that may arise and also detect weaknesses, if any, that exist in a child’s spine.
Just like early proper mental development is critical to a child’s well-being, proper posture and movements are also important thing to evaluate. Chiropractors can test range of motion and reflexes as well as check the development of a child’s curvature in their spine.
If you are concerned about your child’s spinal development, here are some tips to do your part in helping your child’s spine at such a critical age.
- Your child needs to sleep on a firm bed.
- Use a car seat that provides support for your child’s head and neck, one that is chiropractor approved. If you have questions about this, your local Sugar Land chiropractor can help.
- Perhaps most importantly, help your child practice maintaining good posture. Proper posture provides a lifetime of health benefits.
- When you pick up a baby, remember to support the neck and back with your hands.
- Encourage an employ good nutrition. You won’t be able to control how your child eats once they grow up and leave your house, but practicing good eating habits while they’re young, can develop a proper nutritive lifestyle that will benefit them for life.
- Finally, schedule routine check ups with a Sugar Land chiropractor. At Total Chiropractic & Wellness Center, we’ve been helping children maintain healthy lifestyles for many years.